Thursday, April 23, 2015

Observations....

So I have been thinking alot about what to write on this blog and most of it came to me in the dark early hours just before sunrise. It gets light early here and the days seem longer, the sun seems hotter, but the cool breezes and lack of humidity make it for peefect weather, I think!! But this 2 hr. time difference is really screwing with my brain here LOLOL. 

Over the past 3 days, we traveled approx. 1,000 miles....now to me that is alot, but to my hubby, an ex-trucker, that ain't nuttin!! So I have to keep reminding him this is not business, this is pleasure :) I watched the terrain change from the permabasin area in TX to El Paso to New Mexico, then finally Arizona.

As we were going thru Odessa & Midland TX, I got a history lesson from hubby as he used to haul in that area. As far as they eye could see nothing but oil wells, storage tanks, refineries and the rape of Mother Earth...all in the name of progress. I was told this permabasin was one of the richest oil deposits ever found in the U.S.A. and it was going on even before Saudi ever thought about the oil biz! His dad helped to build that interstate 20 down there we were on when he was a youngen and that is how he learned to drive a truck! Of course as we were driving thru, hubby was amazed at how much it had grown in the last couple decades. Now southwest TX was mosty beautiful because of the Guadalupe mountain range which went on forever and ever!! We needed gas bad so we took this one exit, not knowing how far up a hill we would have to go to get there....whew! But the view...omg mtns as far as the eye could see!!! Then we got to Socorro, which is like right next door to El Paso and camped for the night! So much traffic at night and so many night lights! Now remember, I am used to a quiet small town! So the drive thru El Paso was a nightmare to say the least....hubby did a fantastic job!! There is not enough money in the world for me to drive thru that madhouse of a city and these people do it on a daily basis...not this chickeepoo!! So many house slammed together into the bottom of the mtns, was just unbelievable & like I said the rio grande to the left, then Mexico which to me looked just like some more of El Paso...ha!! 

As we go into New Mexico, there seems to be a sudden change in the air and in the way we feel and of course there was that beautiful travel stop!! I could see why they call it the land of enchantment. I immediately fell in love with the architecture, the colors and of course the mtns! Had I been there in a past life? Alot of flat land as well and small settlements as I called them just out in the middle of the desert. I also got my first ever border patrol inspection, now that was a treat in itself! There didn't seem to be as much destruction to Mother Earth here! Lots and lots of longass trains tho!! I, for one, did not think you could grow much of anything in the desert cept cacti, mesquite trees, sagebrush, etc...but lo & behold we came upon groves and groves of vinyards, pecan trees, walnut & almond trees!!!!! Who woulda thunk it?! 

Our trip thru NM was quick as we drove on into Arizona! Again, the air changed and we both just did one of those longass sighs...aaaahhhhhhhh!! Onto Willcox where we had decided to stay a couple days! There is no grass here and Charlie dog is having issues with that lolol! This rv pk is really nice and all covered with the rock people and the cypress trees omg they are just beautiful!! Again with the adobe style architecture. Took a little drive around to sight see the town and well that didn't last long lol! Our down time seems to be draggin what with not much to do, we don't wanna drive too far to explore, so just hangin out here at the rv pk. I did some laundry and the housewifey stuff and we are just enjoying the awesome temps and the peace & quiet, well except for the traffic! 

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see pics of those mountains!!! At least there's something not disturbed by humans eh?

    ReplyDelete